1 May


1. Which Pandemic kills more people than smoking?

Answer:  Physical inactivity kills more people than smoking. The Lancet: There are 5.3 million deaths that could be avoided if inactive people would exercise. This is more than the 5.0 million who die from smoking. Source: HERE

CBS News has reported, “Sitting is the New Smoking!”

Other facts: Smoking usage is decreasing. Physical inactivity is getting worse.

Proof:  According to Dr. Russell Pate from the University of South Carolina, “our bodies were designed to support a physical active lifestyle.”

2. Which Pandemic is a bigger killer than being obese or overweight?

Answer:  Physical inactivity is a bigger killer than being obese or overweight.

Proof:  The World Health Organization lists physical inactivity as the 4th leading cause of death in the world. See the chart to the right. 

And, when we get people active, it reduces 4 of the top 6 other causes of death. Physical activity is the preventive cure to many illnesses.

It is the miracle drug.

3. Which Pandemic hurts children’s academic performance?

Answer:  Physical inactivity hurts children’s academic performance.

Proof:  “Evidence has suggested that short bouts of physical activity (i.e., 20 minutes of walking on a treadmill) lead to positive changes in brain function, cognition/attention, and academic performance on achievement tests of math and reading,” says Professor Charles Hillman, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, the lead author on the story that appeared on Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development.

PHIT America has accumulated more than 10 research projects that conclusively show physical activity improves academic results. This data can be accessed HERE.

4. Bonus Question: Will physical exercise and physical education help with military readiness?

Yes, three quarters (75%) of all teens are not fit enough to join the military. So, this leaves only 25% who are fit enough. But, how many of these teens want to join the military?

Is it any wonder this is a crisis when 48% of all high schools in America have no physical education. Increasing physical education in our schools will improve military readiness and reduce military fitness training costs.

Source: Mission: Readiness Group

Want A Solution? PHIT America Has It!

PHIT America is a 501(c)(3) national charity focused on attacking the ‘Inactivity Pandemic’ a focused approach getting Americans, primarily children, ‘off the couch’ and physically active through with school-based physical activity programs and education. We have effective programs that are working.

Companies or individuals interested in supporting the PHIT America ‘Movement’ and programs should contact Jim Baugh, Founder of PHIT America.  Jim can be reached at Jim@phitamerica.org

PHIT America also has a 501(c)(4) corporation which is also pushing Congress to pass the PHIT Act, which will allow Americans to use pre-tax medical accounts (FSAs & HSAs) for physical activity expenses.

Founded in January 2013, PHIT America (www.phitamerica.org) is a non-profit campaign focused on overcoming the severe ramifications of the ‘Inactivity Pandemic’ through three strategic approaches – education, supporting school-based activity programs, and advocating – which will get Americans, especially our youth, more active, fit and healthy.