AMERICA'S MOST IMPORTANT JOB
That is a pretty strong statement but it is true. While everyone seems to be looking for the magic pill to improve health, we have the cure and best preventive medical approach - Quality Physical Education. See below all the benefit of physical education. This is why we often say, "PE Teachers have the most important job in the world."
Physical education(PE) is the most powerful (and unappreciated) 'medicine' for present and future health issues - For the body, mind and spirit. Physical education in schools captures everyone and not those who want to be active. It teaches great life and health lessons. Putting it simply, PE conditions a child to be more active and healthy adults.
However, there are trends around the world which are disturbing. UNESCO states, "physical education is in decline across all world regions". In the USA, the average school budget for PE is $764 per year. Almost 50% of schools in the USA have eliminated PE and many have cut recess as well.
On the positive side, we have more and evidence and research that physical education is the ultimate solution to producing a more healthy world....for a body, mind and spirit of humans.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION BENEFITS
- Improved physical fitness
- Skill and motor skills development
- Provides regular, healthful physical activity
- Teaches self discipline
- Facilitates development of student responsibility for health and fitness
- Influence moral development, leadership, cooperate with others
- Stress reduction – an outlet for releasing tension and anxiety
- Strengthened peer relationships
- Physical education can improve self-confidence and self-esteem
- Respect - PE helps you respect your body, classmates and teammates
- Experience in setting goals
- Improved academics - The big bonus benefit
Why We Need To Invest In Physical Education
UNESCO laid out 4 reasons - Physical literacy and civic engagement, academic achievement, inclusion and health. We believe in these and are adding a few more:
- Healthy For Life -Kids who have quality PE are taught life skills (see above) than can be used forever.
- Reduced Healthcare Costs - We have more of a 'sick-care' system than healthcare. One of the best ways to prevent 'sick-care' expenses to have real healthcare. PE is true healthcare and prevention. As been mentioned "Prevention is Better than a Cure".
- Physical Education Captures Everyone - Recess is nice. So are after school programs but lets not just get the kids active who want to be active. Physical education gets every child conditioned to live a healthy life.
- PE Gets Kids Active...Outside of School - Look at the charts below from the USA. Adults who had PE are twice as likely to active later in life. Kids who have PE are 3-4 times more likely to active outside of school
- It Is Harder To Condition Adults - Habits and conditioning early in one's life is a lot easier than "teaching an old dog new tricks". Let's condition activity into every kids resources that then can use forever
- The Academic Payoff - The research and evidence is overwhelming. Kids who are active are better students period. Look at this document for all the research we have accumulated to date. And look at the study of 3 million children below. Fitness = Better Academics!
AMPED - THE IDEAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITY PROGRAM FOR ALL SCHOOLS
PHIT America has a fabulous program, AMPED, which gets kids moving and motivated for improved learning. The cost of this program is only $4000 for an entire school. Whether you have a PE program and want to add a new element...or don't have a PE program and want to add a program which is economical and proven, AMPED is your program. Learn more HERE.